From endless emails and texts to looming deadlines, sometimes it seems like can get the better of us.
But, living in the modern world doesn’t have to be an endless stream of chaos.
In this post I want to share 10 little habits you can build that will help you to declutter your life and focus on what’s really important. These rules for a simple life are, by their nature, very, VERY easy. All it takes is a little discipline and a clear intention.
10 Simple Life Rules for Health and Happiness
- Live Within Your Means. One of the biggest causes of stress and anxiety for many people is when they try to live at or beyond their means. An important key to simplifying your life is to make sure that you never spend more than you earn. Whether you have to live in a more modest house or cut back on your bills, do whatever it takes to live more simply. As you do, you’ll find the financial stress evaporates, and you’ll also begin to feel happier as you live from a sense spiritual joy rather than materialistic pleasure.
- Follow Your Passions. The next life rule is to ALWAYS follow your passions, wherever they may lead. One of the root causes of unhappiness in our society is the belief that we should be, do, or have something that we currently are not. We squash our dreams to follow a more normal or widely accepted path, but in the long run, this always comes back to bite us. Focus your life around the things you naturally enjoy, and you’ll find it easier to live simply. You’ll also find you will start to become present and live in the now.
- Appreciate People You Love. More than any physical object, the people in our lives are what bring us lasting happiness and joy. Take the time to invest in developing close relationships with people you love. When your relationships are authentic, you don’t need to put yourself in complicated positions you’re not comfortable with. Learn more about using positive affirmations and appreciation to change your life.
- Spend Time In Nature. Did you know that spending time in nature is linked to increased levels of both happiness and physical health? Take time (every day if possible) to go for a walk in nature. Touch your hands to trees or dip your toes in a stream, and the forces of nature will help you to increase a calming presence of mind.
- Meditate Every Day. Another great habit to develop is meditation. Meditation has innumerable health benefits, not least of which is the ability to think more clearly and experience more happiness and zest for life. You can meditate anywhere, and even a few minutes a day will change your life. Learn more about getting started with meditation.
- Exercise Regularly. Taking good care of your body is another easy and simple way to improve your life. In addition to the obvious health benefits, regular exercise helps to keep things in perspective, and will cause you to feel empowered and eager for the tasks that lie ahead.
- Eat Well. Diet and exercise go hand in hand, and no life plan would be complete without mentioning the importance of eating well. Begin to introduce more simple, plant-based meals into your life, cut out the highly saturated fats and excess sugar, and you’ll be amazed at just how good you feel every day.
- Limit Your Screen Time. While much of our world revolves around technology, staring at a screen all day can wreak havoc on your mind’s ability to reset and re-focus. If you can’t limit your screen time at work, at least do so at home, cutting back on tv and endless social media posts. At the very least, make it a habit to stop looking at all electronics an hour before bed. This will help you to rest well and recover from your day more deeply. So, instead of watching that next episode, try this evening routine from Abraham Hicks.
- Set Clear Boundaries. Another great rule for a simple life is to set clear boundaries, both with yourself and others. If your life seems chaotic, look for ways in which you’ve been pulled into activities that you don’t enjoy. Whether it’s getting thrown on an extra project at work, babysitting your niece or running errands for a friend, see where it makes sense to simply draw a line and say no.
- Focus on Constant Personal Growth. Lastly, develop the habit of personal growth. No matter where you currently are, or what you want to achieve, the best of life comes when you make it a priority to strive for the next best ‘you’ you can be. Whether that means taking up a new hobby, mastering a skill for your next promotion, or learning how to live a spiritual life, your personal growth should always be a top priority.
As I said before, these 10 easy life rules aren’t rocket science. The key to a simple life is to pay attention to the habits that you engage, every single day, and to focus those habits around things that matter to you. These 10 rules are a simple way to get started.
If you want more ideas, check out these easy happiness habits or see this complete list of 101 ways to feel happier, right now.