Ajna, the third eye chakra, the sixth chakra in the seven chakras energy system. Chakra is Sanskrit and translates as “wheel” or “circle”. This translation can begin to explain the way the chakra system works as a continuous stream of energy circulating throughout the body. Sometimes when we become stagnant in life or it is time to change the way we have previously been living, our chakras can become blocked with this stagnation.
Traits Of A Balanced Third Eye Chakra
The third eye chakra is located between the brows. The body parts it rules include the brain, pineal, and pituitary glands.
This chakra when in balance shows traits as one being able to think clearly without becoming tangled within illusions, fears, or past emotional trauma. One has a balanced mental body and integrates their intuition with the rational mind.
They are able to choose actions that serve their higher purpose rather than immediate gratification driven by clouded emotions. They can see clearly through societal programming and feel in touch with a bigger purpose.
Wisdom to feel into the depth of a situation rather than simply trusting the surface level perception comes from this chakra being in balance. This is where our intuition and our gut instincts merge with our intellectual process.
Being able to clearly perceive yourself and reflect on your internal world is one of the gifts of balancing this chakra.
Traits Of An Under Active Third Eye Chakra
When the third eye chakra is underactive one may be stuck in the rational mind and ignore their intuition. They may be overly fearful of the unknown and indecisive.
They may fall prey to illusions and be more easily manipulated. Mental cloudiness such as lacking concentration and poor memory skills are blockages that form within this chakra.
A subconscious fear of not being able to handle the truth can block this chakra and cause one to convince themselves to ignore their intuition.
Crystals To Open The Ajna Chakra
Healing crystals can be used during meditation, placed under a pillow while sleeping, or carried in your pocket throughout your day. The color of a crystal directly correlates to which chakra this is helping you to work with. The color indigo supports the energy and balancing of the third eye chakra. Some specific crystals to work with are:
- Lapis Lazuli
Activation Allies Of The Third Eye Chakra
When opening and activating the third eye chakra there are many tools you can use. Simple tools include meditation, third eye massages, dream journaling, and dressing in the color indigo. Try working with some of the third eye chakra activation allies listed below.
More advanced third eye chakra opening techniques include receiving a reiki session, meditations guided to get in touch with your intuition, visualizing the color indigo, and yoga. Yoga poses to open the third eye will focus on cultivating deep attention and mental focus. These poses include Balasana (Childs pose variation with forehead resting on a block), Vrkasana (tree pose), and Paschimottanasana (seated forward fold).
Affirmations To Open The Third Eye
- I am intuitive
- I see myself clearly and can trust myself
- I am a clear channel for wisdom
- I am connected to the divine
- I am a source for eternal wisdom
- It is safe for me to see the truth
Sound Healing To Open Ajna
Traits Of An Overactive Third Eye Chakra
An overactive third eye chakra imbalance can show up as someone living in their inner fantasy world and unable to have a mental grasp on reality. They can be judgemental and overly analytical.
They may struggle to stay committed to prior commitments. They may also find it hard to focus, be mentally exhausted or be flooded with thoughts.
Similar to an interactive third eye chakra, unclear self-reflection or analyzation of current situations can be a symptom of an overactivation as well.
Techniques To Balance The Third Eye
Calming the mind through grounding techniques can bring the third eye chakra into balance when overstimulated. This creates grounding in the mental body and an ability for the mind to calm itself.
Grounding Exercise For The Third Eye
Find a quiet place where you can deeply relax and be undisturbed. This exercise can be done shortly in five minutes or drawn-out longer for twenty minutes.
- find a comfortable seated position and take a deep breath to close your eyes
- slowly bring your attention from the external world to your internal one
- bring your focus to your sits bones or your root chakra against the floor/seat you are on
- feel your body making contact with the earth (even through a chair)
- imagine roots stemming from your root chakra or your hips gradually growing downwards into the earth
- slowly allow them to continue growing deeper, creating a strong foundation of connection to the earth from you
- feel mother earth supporting you and as your roots extend visualize yourself pulling nutrients up through these roots as well
- stay here as long as you want
- when you are ready bring your focus up your roots and back into your heart space
- let yourself arrive back here and take a deep breath to open your eyes and come back to the present state.
Journal Prompts To Heal The Third Eye Chakra
Journaling will help bring balance to the mental plane and can offer a potent place to see through illusions while self-reflecting.
- If I picture my most satisfied self what do they look like?
- When have I felt myself listen to my intuition?
- Where in my life may I be afraid to see the truth?
- Do I trust my own intuition?
- Do I feel balanced between optimism and reality?
Heal All Seven Chakras
Through listening to our chakra system and what it is telling us, we have the potential to miraculously self-heal. It is a sacred system you are currently reading about and you can connect to each one of them through meditation music.
You can learn more about all the seven chakras here or individually dive into each chakra by clicking each one below.