Life got you down?
We’ve all been there. Whether you’re feeling depressed or just a bit bummed out and having a bad day, what’s important isn’t the fact that you’re in a bad mood: it’s what you choose to do with it.
When that happens, the number 1 thing you can do is take the time to get happier, right now.
In fact, I truly believe that your only responsibility is to yourself. You owe it to yourself and to everyone around you to prioritize raising your energy, and getting into a better mood.
So, in this post, I’ll share a few of the best things you can read to do just that.
Find Peace and Inspiration in Quotes
I’ll recommend a few books in just a moment, but first, I want to point out the power of reading a few inspiring quotes.
Sometimes, you can’t be bothered to read anything you have to think about, and yet you might also feel like you can’t be left alone with your own thoughts.
That’s where motivational quotes can come in handy. They’re short, easy to digest, and give your mind an instant break from the stress and negativity you’re feeling.
Check out these posts for a few ideas:
- 27 Inspiring Quotes on Love, Life, and Spirituality from Deepak Chopra
- 12 Eckhart Tolle Quotes on Stillness and Becoming Aware of Awareness
- 31 Wayne Dyer Quotes on Happiness and Success
- 50 Quotes from Vishen Lakhiani’s The Code of The Extraordinary Mind.
Practice a Few Affirmations
Once you’ve read through a couple of quotes, your mood will start to life, even if just slightly at first. When it does you have an opportunity to start to move into a better mood.
The goal is to leverage your momentum, moving away from the negative thoughts and towards more neutral thoughts, helping you to appreciate what you have in life, right now, in order to gradually move into a positive state of mind.
That’s where affirmations come in handy. They help you to pick a phrase or an idea you want to focus on, and then help you align your energy with it.
Learn more about how to use positive affirmations.
10 Books To Read When You Feel Depressed
Lastly, if you’re still feeling down or depressed, you might want to read a book to lift your spirits. For me, one of the best things I can do when I’m having an off-day is to take a few hours to bury into a book that helps me think about happiness, or getting in touch with my inner peace and natural energy.
So, here are 10 books you might consider to help you do just that.
- The Seat of The Soul by Gary Zukav. One of the quintessential books on spiritual growth in modern life, The Seat of The Soul offers great lessons for tapping into your true energy of joy.
- The 7 Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra. The universe operates according to a few simple, fundamental laws. When you feel depressed, you are acting out of alignment with those laws. The easiest way to feel better is to start to move more into alignment with this universal energy. Chopra’s book explains how to live according to The 7 Spiritual Laws of Success.
- Ask And It Is Given by Abraham Hicks. If you want to read a feel-good book that also gives you a practical system for improving your mood and getting into a happier state of mind, then Ask And It Is Given is a great choice. It’s a short read, and builds within you the confidence and joy you need to start living the best version of yourself. The second half even includes 22 processes to help you feel better, right now.
- Living The Wisdom of the Tao by Wayne Dyer. This is a great little book by Wayne Dyer. In it, he offers easy-to-read translation of the Tao te Ching, and includes his own insights and affirmations for each verse. Click here to peruse Dyer’s affirmations on the Tao.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. Easily one of the most famous books on modern spirituality, The Power of Now gives an extraordinarily simple approach to finding joy and inner peace. Tolle teaches that when you become mindful of the current moment, you connect with your inner source energy, raise your awareness, and gift yourself the ability to experience true peace, and unconditional love. Learn more about presence and living in the moment.
- You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero. Sometimes, you want to throw spiritual books against the wall. If that’s the case for you, Sincero’s book might be a better fit. You Are a Badass is a no-nonsense approach to help you get your shit together and start living a better life. Read my favorite quotes from You Are a Badass.
- Feeling Is The Secret by Neville Goddard. Neville Goddard is one of the best Law of Attraction teachers of the 20th century. In Feeling Is The Secret, he explains how to gain conscious control over your reality by focusing on what you want to be, do, or have in your life. It’s a great read for inspiring you to take back control of your life! Download a PDF of Feeling Is The Secret.
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. This is another great resource on The Law of Attraction. It’s written very simply, helping you to understand the basics about how your thoughts create your reality. Or, watch Bob Proctor explain The Secret in this post.